Monday, September 26, 2011

101 Ways to Dance



This book was inspired by a writing exercise that the author used in a creative writing course. This is very appropriate as it is a very creative way to approach the topic of relationships for young adults.


I enjoyed this book a lot, but I was often left wanting more – a sign of a great author. I loved the setting of the book – Canada, of course. But what I really loved was the realistic portrayal of characters. Unlike the book that I read for my YA course, this book dealt with real relationship in the 21st century. Some of them were typical – others a bit more controversial. I particularly loved the way that Stinson involved same-sex relationships just as much as heterosexual relationships. In addition to sexual relationships, she also included different ones that young adults must encounter, including those with siblings, family (especially parents), and teachers. This helps teens to relate to the characters even if they can’t relate to the situation.

I loved this book, as usual. I kind of feel that it is something that I could write with ADD! I cannot say honestly that I enjoyed it more than Judy Blume because it would be like comparing apples and oranges. In 101 Ways to Dance, there is no getting attached to the characters all the way through the story, but it deals with issues more prevalent to today’s teens. However, just like Forever, this type of book would never be allowed in my Catholic school and should be read by young adults who are old enough to understand and appreciate the scenarios. 

No comments: