Friday, January 13, 2012

The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins



In a future North America, the rulers of Panem keep control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people ages 12 through 18 from each of the twelve remaining districts against one another. In this story, sixteen-year-old Katniss' skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place. Suzanne Collins' books tend to examine the impact of war on childhood, and does so with great skill.


I LOVED every second of reading this book. It was extremely well written and kept my attention (which is not always easy) from the first page until the very last one. I tend to shy away from 'popular' fiction, but I am very glad that I decided to read this one. This book was a treat that I bought myself to celebrate graduation, and it was just that - a treat. I loved all of the underlying themes that one could choose to explore - the idea of young love, dealing with the loss of family, protection of siblings/family, fear, anger... not to mention the other themes of the impact of surveillance, media, and peer pressure and societal expectations to preform. Even if you do not want to think about all of these themes, it is just a great book that I would recommend to everyone.

Warning: This book is very difficult to put down! I literally had to put it in the basement so that I could get some sleep last night!!! It is that good.

 I would recommend this book to anyone that likes dystopian, sci-fi, mystery or action! It is a great book!

Okay this is a short blog post. Reason: I cannot wait to start reading the next book in the trilogy.

2 comments:

Sally said...

OK,OK, I'll read it, though if I want dystopia, I usually just watch the news.

Stephanie said...

Seriously, you won't regret it! Although, I won't lie, sometimes I get morbid thoughts like while swimming I was thinking about what it would be like if I was in the hunger games and who I could beat and who I couldn't... it was kinda creepy.