Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is it Just Me? Or is it nuts out there?

Is it Just Me? Or is it nuts out there?
by Whoopi Goldberg (2011)


“Thoughtlessness is the new manners, and I’ve got to say I don’t like it… Somehow, so many little pieces of courtesy have gone by the wayside. People in your face, in your business, not caring if they are being disrespectfully loud…
So over the last year there were days when I remembered to write things down that struck me. Many are written here. They cover the map of my mind, unleashed on you the way they appear in my head.
Little things, the way I can comment on them in a book but not on TV. In no particular order—oh, and I don’t necessarily have any answers guaranteed to work for anyone.”


Now that I have my Kobo back, I was finally able to finish reading this book! I used this book during the end of the semester when the stress was on and I needed a small break for a laugh or stress relief. It is the perfect book if you want to be able to pick it up for a short period of time as it has 75 chapters in 224 pages. 

In this book Goldberg discusses different things that annoy her in daily life, most of which are very familiar to other people. But this book is not just one long rant - she gives some advice for patience and different ways to deal with the stressful or annoying situations. Given my recent problems with Kobo, I particularly enjoyed the different responses that you can give to the machines while waiting on hold. She also discusses very relevant things to today's culture such as forgiveness and the problems of bullying (though not necessarily the two together).

An issue that she repeats throughout the book is the idea that parents need to be parents to their children, not "peerants" (peer + parent). I agree with this completely. It was refreshing to see that I am not alone with my pet-peeves and frustrations, for this reason (and the humour), I really enjoyed this book.

No comments: