Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Girl on the Run

Girl on the Run
by B. R. Myers



When seventeen-year-old track and field star Jesse Collins’s dreams of a full scholarship are shattered after the sudden death of her dad, she leaves home to work as a summer camp counselor to escape the nosy stares in small town…and her own secret guilt. After a mix-up at registration, she’s put in charge of a boys’ cabin, and the head counselor, Kirk, predicts she won’t last the first two weeks.

In the midst of fending off four twelve-year-old boys who are hell-bent on mortifying her and a growing attraction to Kirk, Jesse finds the inspiration to run again from an unlikely source. After all, a good pair of legs can take a girl far, but it’s facing the truth that makes all the difference.

I have some concerns with the message of the book. Is the message of the book that after something tragic happens you should quit everything you love and run away to find a boyfriend? (I realize toward the VERY end she has to face the truth, but it took too long to get there). I could not keep the characters straight – there were too many male semi-boyfriends. The main character was harassed at work – which is illegal – and actually got punished for it. I would not have finished this book if I was reading this for myself. The story is aimed at a female audience. I can see younger teen girls perhaps enjoying the story but I disagree with the message that it is sending.
 

No comments: