Friday, September 9, 2011

Surviving your Stupid, Stupid Decision to go to Grad School

Surviving your Stupid, Stupid Decision to go to Grad School
by Adam Ruben




I decided to read this book as a celebration of my last semester of my MLIS.  I absolutely fell in love with this book from the beginning where the author has a forward, a preface, a prologue and an introduction but explains that as a grad student “you could skip to chapter 1 and begin reading the actual book. But out of obligation to the printed word, or out of inertia, or out of a misguided need to finish what you start, you’ll keep reading and waiting”. As with the rest of the book, it is sadly true – though I did resist the urge to take notes!


It is a funny book that talks about the life of a grad student, accurately describing this “transitional period” between college/university (it is an American book) and the “real world”. It does not really give a lot of advice, but it does reassure the grad student that s/he is not alone in their suffering! I often found myself laughing hysterically (with one awkward moment while reading it in the waiting room of my aunt’s physiotherapist) and recalling very similar scenarios that are described in the book.



I definitely recommend this to ANY grad student who actually has a bit of *spare time* (rare, I know) for pleasure reading. It is nice to know that you are not alone, although it seems like it! I often called my brother (a former grad student) with parts from the book, as it was so sadly true.

Read it!

No comments: