Sunday, September 16, 2012

Official Book Club Selection


Official Book Club Selection


by Kathy Griffin


 There's something about putting things in print as opposed to saying them on stage: it seems they carry more weight. Even the jokes, people take more seriously


- Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin





I have taken a break from “newspaper article books” to read some books that look interesting to me – but may not appeal to the conservative small-town readers here.

Kathy Griffin is a hilarious, though controversial, comedienne that tells it as it is – and won’t apologize. I enjoy her humour, though I can see how others might take offense to it. The book, however, is not as bawdy as her stand-up. In the auto-biography, Griffin tells about her past including a difficult relationship with her eldest brother, the support of her parents, trying to break into Hollywood, and her love life. She explains how each of the events impacted her life today. It was really interesting, and although I always enjoyed her comedy, I found that I greatly respected her work ethic and the amount of effort that she has put into her career. I admire that.

From her eating disorder to her start at the Groundlings to the relationship with her (ex) husband, Griffin expertly integrates humour with the serious story of her life. It is very interesting to see how her sense of humour developed, and how she continues to fear losing everything despite her success.
I enjoyed this book – I laughed, and I related. Good read! Even though I don’t care about Hollywood or its stars, I enjoyed this memoir. If you like her humour, or even if you are on the fence about her, read it! 

No comments: